Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Computer tech wipes out info on $38 BILLION fund

Perhaps you know that sinking feeling when a single keystroke accidentally destroy hours of work. Now imagine wiping out a disc drive containing an account worth $38 billion. That may be how a computer technician at the Alaska Department of Revenue feels after deleting applicant information for an oil-funded sales account.

read more digg story

This actually just happened to me - I ran a .bat file through Microsoft's robocopy process. The process ran fine for High Schools, so I had no worries when time came to run it for Elementary and Middles. Somehow, I had an extra character in a delete command that did not get copied to the other 3 .bat files I ran. So, instead of deleting potential problem files, it deleted everything. So all work done at the schools that day was lost. But then we found out that not all of the sites backup processes were functioning, and some of those have been a nightmare to restore. I definitely feel like an outcast - much like Patrick Dempsey's character in the movie "Can't Buy Me Love." after they find out the truth.